Women have abortions for a variety of reasons. The decision whether or not to have an abortion should be carefully considered. It is important to be well-informed before making such an important decision. This booklet contains information about the developing embryo and fetus, abortion procedures, alternatives to abortion, and resources available for pregnant women in Utah.
All women considering abortion should be advised:
- The State of Utah prefers childbirth over abortion.
- Private adoption is legal in Utah.
- The law permits adoptive parents to pay the costs of prenatal care, childbirth, and neonatal care.
- The father has a legal responsibility to assist in child support, even in instances where he has agreed to pay for an abortion. In cases where the father fails to pay child support, the State Office of Recovery Services may be able to help you collect that child support,
although there is no guarantee of collection.
- It is unlawful for any person to coerce a woman to have an abortion.
- Any physician who performs an abortion without obtaining the woman’s informed consent or without ensuring that she has a face-to-face medical consultation may be liable to her for damages in a civil action at law.
Note: Use the “Next” and “Back” links at the bottom of each page to navigate through this site.